Maker Meetup #26: The Future of Food
Please join Makers Meetup and our special sponsor, Royer Cooper Cohen Braunfeld, for an exciting event during Philly Tech Week to learn about the latest innovations and investments in food.
Explore exciting developments such as plant-based and clean meat technologies that address compelling issues such as the environment, health and world hunger. This industry has attracted hundreds of millions of venture dollars while leading investors have called this a trillion dollar business opportunity. An opportunity for which Philly’s biotech-rich ecosystem is well suited for success.
The keynote speaker is Paul Shapiro, the best-selling author of Clean Meat (https://cleanmeat.com). He has received accolades from Eric Schmidt of Google, John Mackey of Whole Foods, and many more. Paul will discuss the entrepreneurs and investors who are commercializing ways to sustainably create enough food to feed the world’s population.
Other presenters include:
- CEO's Shannon Falconer (Because Animals)
- Benjamina Bollag (Higher Steaks)
- VC's Jay Karandikar (New Crop Capital)
- Peter Bodenheimer (SOSV Food-X)
- Celebrity Chef Richard Landau (VEDGE)
- Overview of the investment landscape for the industry
- Plant-based and clean meat technologies
- Sustainably feeding the world without degrading the environment
- Hunger and the impact on global poverty of growing crops to feed animals
- Health issues caused by meat consumption, such as antibiotic resistance, contamination and disease
- Animal welfare
Space is limited for this free event and priority will be given to investors, entrepreneurs and professionals in the sustainable food industry.
The networking reception with complimentary vegan food (including Beyond Meat burgers) will kick off at 4:00. This will include a showcase featuring leading innovators in the creation of delicious meat substitutes.
The formal program will begin promptly at 6:00 with an introduction of the showcase participants and sponsors, followed by community announcements. This is an earlier start to accommodate presentations as well as an extensive panel discussion among our guests.