The Brains Behind Gritty: How One Mascot Went Viral
The Philadelphia Flyers had never had a mascot, in 40 years. Then, in September 2018, they introduced the world to Gritty, a bizarre flame-colored explosion of energy.
First facing overwhelming ridicule, it took a savvy marketing team to change the country’s perspective to perverse adoration.
Now Gritty has amassed over 170K Instagram followers and 240K on Twitter.
It takes intentional action and thoughtfulness from the team to keep Gritty a viral sensation without becoming a sellout.
Learn how this six-person team works together to create regular content, stay on top of opportunities all the while keeping demand and interest for the orange beast at a high.
Panelists from the Philadelphia Flyers
- Lauren Capone, Coordinator, Marketing & Communications
- Ben DiCandilo, Marketing Manager
- Joe Heller, Vice President, Marketing & Communications
- Christine Mina, Manager, Digital Media
- Lauren Robins, Coordinator, Digital Media
- Moderated By Sarah Schwab, Director, Marketing & Communications
This session is brought to you by: